Join the MuggleCasters for our fourth live Harry Potter trivia event this Sunday, May 17 beginning at 11 AM ET (4 PM GMT, 8 AM PT)! Continue reading →
Join the MuggleCasters for our third live trivia event this Sunday, April 26 beginning at 11 AM ET (4 PM GMT, 8 AM PT)! Continue reading →
Join the MuggleCasters for our second live trivia event this Thursday, April 9 beginning at 7:15 PM ET (which is 4:15 PM PT, and 12:15 AM GMT Friday)! Get ready for a broom ride down memory lane, because you’ll be competing against fellow Harry Potter fans as you answer multiple choice questions about our beloved fandom. Continue reading →
Update: The event has concluded! Thanks to everyone who played! A list of the top 500 participants and a replay is below. We hope to host more events in the weeks and months ahead.
Continue reading →
- Micah’s back and FINALLY received a Wizarding World Gold pin!
- Muggle Mail covers Founder wands, House points, SPEW and Harry Potter tattoos
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Order of the Phoenix – Chapter 14: Percy and Padfoot
- 7-Word Summary: Saturday begins with letter sending from Harry
- Harry does a really good job of hiding the truth when writing to Sirius. Do we think this a quality that Harry possesses or just JKR’s clever writing?
- The hosts take a shot at cryptically describing each other
- Thestrals Alert! If we were Harry, would we be concerned we’re seeing ominous creatures randomly around Hogwarts? We compare it to the grim in Book 3 and the basilisk in Book 2!
- The hosts discuss what it means for Cho to believe in Harry
- The Daily Prophet: Padfoot and Podmore
- Why was Slytherin allowed to watch Gryffindor’s Quidditch practice? Shouldn’t it be closed, especially to opposing teams?
- Percy’s letter: what does it reveal about the Ministry? About his true character? We read several of Percy’s passages in our best Dr. Evil voices!
- Does Percy truly believe Dolores Umbridge is a nice person? Do we think he is really concerned about Ron? Or is this an attempt by Fudge and Umbridge to sow discord between Ron and Harry?
- Which Fireplace Sirius was better: Goblet of Fire or Order of the Phoenix?
- The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters
- The Ministry believes Dumbledore is forming an Army!
- Reckless and bitter Sirius: do his comments about James hurt Harry?
- Umbridge Suck Count, Connecting The Threads, MVP of the Week and Rename The Chapter
- Quizzitch: Professor McGonagall has been teaching at Hogwarts for how many years (at the time of Order of the Phoenix)?
- This week’s episode is sponsored by OpenFit, a fantastic way to workout at home at great prices! Text ‘mugglecast’ to 505050 to get a free two-week trial.
Download now (60.5 MB, 1:24:03)
- Reminder: MuggleCast is moving to Tuesdays! Each week we’ll have a new episode available bright and early.
- A ‘flagship’ Harry Potter store has been announced, where we’ll be able to grab coffee, Butterbeer, and… ‘House Wands’?!
- Chapter by Chapter: Order of the Phoenix Chapter 13, Detention with Dolores
- This chapter is very unlucky for Harry. Are all Chapter 13’s in the Harry Potter series the same way?
- Theory: Every chapter ever is unlucky for Harry.
- Fred and George are getting away with their testing — until Hermione steps in. Why this moment was truly ‘below the belt’ for the twins.
- What’s going on with Hermione and her crusade to free the elves? We don’t see her doing any work that the elves do.
- We learn that Bowtruckles can actually be quite evil. How could Newt keep one so close to his eye balls? It’s Security Nightmare: Pickett Edition!
- Then again, they have leafy hands. How peaceful! What an enigma.
- Malfoy drops some information that’s of interest to Harry, while Luna sticks up for The Chosen One in a big way.
- Detention with Dolores: It’s in this scene where Umbridge goes from being an annoying teacher to a truly evil one.
- Did Dumbledore or McGonagall know that this type of thing was going on? Should Harry have ratted Umbridge out? And did this ever happen again?
- Quizzitch: What does Cho refer to Ron as? Answer on Twitter by tweeting @MuggleCast!
- This week’s episode is sponsored by Care/Of! Get 50% off your first order of personalized vitamins by visiting TakeCareOf.com and using promo code ‘mugglecast50’ at checkout. Support MuggleCast by supporting our sponsors!
Download now (49 MB, 1:08:02)
In this special installment, Rori Porter, a transfemme member of the Harry Potter fandom, joins the MuggleCasters to discuss why J.K. Rowling’s December 19th tweet was transphobic and hurtful.
Rori explains the court battle the tweet is in reference to, what Rowling’s doing by saying this, and how it affects trans people. We also discuss the role inclusion and acceptance has played in the Harry Potter fandom, and where we go from here.
- Mike from Potterless Podcast joins the show! He shares why he got into the series so late and some of the moments that shocked him the most.
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 8 – The Hearing
- 7-Word Summary: Harry is attacked by Fudge but Dumbledore prevails
- Have any of us ever been before a judge?
- Given Harry is being charged with UNDERAGE magic, isn’t it ridiculous an adult can’t accompany him to trial?
- Where exactly was Harry’s owl sent? Was it even sent at all?
- We’re introduced to Fudge’s “right-hand“ woman… Dolores Jane Umbridge!
- Why do we think Dumbledore arrived at the Ministry three hours early?
- Given the number of people required for this trial, there is no way the time and location wasn’t changed at least the night prior!
- By changing the time, is the Ministry hoping Harry would need to use magic, getting him into further trouble?
- Is Ms. Figg a credible witness? We debate if she really saw the Dementors!
- Dumbledore makes Fudge SUPER uncomfortable!
- Who really sent the Dementors? Voldemort? The Ministry?
- Do we think Fudge made the decision to implement Umbridge at Hogwarts before or after the trial?
- Would Harry have prevailed without Dumbledore present?
- What’s up with Harry’s heart swelling to unnatural size?
- This could have all been solved with a little bit of Veritaserum!
- The Umbridge sucks count grows by 2!
- We Connect The Threads, Rename The Chapter and give our MVPs of the Week
- Quizzitch: What nickname does Malfoy give Harry while at the Ministry?
- Join our community at Patreon.com/MuggleCast and receive magical benefits, including early access to the show via our live streams!
- Thanks to this week’s sponsor: Wondery’s new podcast Bad Batch, an investigative series.
Running time: 1:17:17, 46.4 MB
We’re live from LeakyCon in Boston and joined by special guest Chris Rankin! We travel around the Wizarding World to famous Potter locations, talk about the Massachusetts-based school Ilvermorny and play a few of our favorite games with the audience. Chris takes Micah to task in the Dueling Club while listeners try their hand at Make The Connection. Join us for this very special edition of MuggleCast!
Running time: 1:00:21, 36.2 MB
- One of our listeners received the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Illustrated Edition two weeks early! How does it compare to the rest of the series?
- This week we dive into Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 4, 12 Grimmauld Place
- Seven Word Summary: Harry shouts loudly at everyone in CAPSLOCK
- As soon as Harry steps into the Black Family home, J.K. Rowling offers an ominous line. It’s the first of many hints about Sirius’ fate.
- Rowling has enjoyed using the number 12 throughout the Harry Potter series. We review its many major uses and a couple of our other favorite commonalities.
- Molly, who’s usually a calming figure, isn’t much help to Harry when he enters the Order’s hideout. Should Harry have just barged into the Order meeting?
- Harry enters ALL CAPS mode for the first time in the series. While it was justified, we don’t believe he should’ve taken it out on Ron and Hermione.
- What led Harry to this moment of epic fury? And what would it sound like?
- Speaking of rage, Percy isn’t happy with the rest of his family after his recent promotion was downplayed by Arthur. Did Dad step out of line?
- Were we surprised to learn that Snape was in the Order? Good thing he leaves before dinner.
- The Umbridge Suck Count ticks up by 1 point, while Rita Skeeter gets an honorable mention.
- Quizzitch: What is the name of Bill Weasley’s unwitting informant into the Goblin POV?
- This week’s episode is brought to you by ThirdLove! Find your perfect fitting bra at ThirdLove.com/MuggleCast and save 15%!
Running time: 1:09:25, 50 MB