Welcome to MuggleCast, the Harry Potter podcast and your weekly ride into the Wizarding World! Our show has been podcasting about J.K. Rowling’s creation since 2005. In each new episode we discuss all things Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts.
Currently our Harry Potter podcast is hosting a Chapter by Chapter re-read of the series and discussing the latest Wizarding World happenings. Thanks to our supporters on Patreon, we’re currently releasing four episodes per month. You can pledge as little as $2/month to help support the show and receive sweet benefits in return!
Visit our Episodes page for the older shows. A new episode is released every Monday.
Subscribe to our podcast:
We highly recommend subscribing so that you can automatically receive each new episode. To do so, pick one of these options:
- Visit us in the iTunes store, then click ‘Subscribe.’
- iTunes not your thing? We recommend the app “Casts” for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android. For a free alternative to these apps, use Apple’s official Podcasts app or Podcast & Radio Addict for Android.
- Add us to your app: Search the app’s directory for MuggleCast, or copy and paste this RSS feed into the app: https://audioboom.com/channels/4855957.rss
Find our latest episodes below, or click here to begin browsing our complete archive.
- Welcome Slug Club member Natalie!
- News: we get our first look at animatronic Hagrid and discuss the changes coming to Pottermore!
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Chapter 26, The Cave
- 7-Word Summary: Together they enter the mysterious boat ride
- The perfect breaststroke: what do we make of Dumbledore’s new-found agility? Is it pure adrenaline? His eagerness to find the Horcrux?
- Next level magic: it leaves traces and can be felt! Might J.K. Rowling explain this further in the Fantastic Beasts series?
- Why does this Horcrux have the highest level of protection? Is it because it once belonged to Voldemort’s mother?
- Has Voldemort visited the cave since he placed the Horcrux here?
- Why is Harry’s blood more valuable upon entering the cave but not for exiting?
- The simple approach: even in the most dangerous of situations, Dumbledore is still teaching Harry
- Is it possible that because part of Voldemort resides within Harry, that the magic within the cave is mistaking him for Voldemort?
- Magical weight vs. human weight and how Voldemort’s tends to overlook those he considers to be “less than himself”
- Does Dumbledore’s reaction to the bodies in the lake reflect the fact that he’s resigned himself to his fate?
- What do we think Dumbledore is seeing when he drinks the potion? We recall we didn’t have the context of Ariana when we first theorized about this in 2005!
- Dumbledore’s Ring of Fire: what spell does he cast to ward off the Inferi?
- Despite her absence Laura does an amazing job Connecting The Threads (and planning the discussion)!
- The hosts reveal their Horcrux Hidey Hole, MVPs of the Week and Rename The Chapter!
- Quizzitch: Which Death Eater calls Dumbledore “Dumby”?
- We’ve finally got @mugglecast on Instagram! Thanks for the help, Amy and Amanda!
- This week’s episode is sponsored by AWAY. Get $20 off a suitcase by going to AwayTravel.com/mugglecast20 and using promo code MUGGLECAST20.
Running time: 1:40:49, 60.5 MB
- For the first time in five years, J.K. Rowling stays quiet on the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts
- Fantastic Beasts 3 filming is delayed until 2021! How will this impact the fandom? Will people lose interest in the series?
- This Week in MuggleCast History returns!
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Chapter 25 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, The Seer Overheard
- 7-Word Summary: Harry discovers who listened to the prophecy
- Harry and Ginny: why did Rowling gloss over some of the happiest moments of Harry’s life?
- Hermione begins to unravel the identity of the Half-Blood Prince… and Harry “just knows” it isn’t a woman! Is he being sexist?
- Why is Harry still so defensive of the Half-Blood Prince? Truth is, we’ve seen him behave this way before!
- The Room of Requirement: easier to access than previously thought – you just need to be drunk!
- Why has Dumbledore been so reluctant to see Trelawney lately?
- Harry learns Snape was the one who overheard the prophecy! Would Dumbledore have ever told him?
- What does it say about Snape’s character that despite playing a role in Harry’s father’s death, he still continues to insult James?
- Is Albus and Aberforth’s relationship as contentious as we’re led to believe in Deathly Hallows?
- Lax security: is there any reason to think the school will be safe with Harry and Dumbledore headed to The Cave?
- The hosts Rename The Chapter and give their MVPs of the Week
- Quizzitch: What is the first spell Harry casts at the Inferi?
- Bonus MuggleCast (available on Patreon): what if Hermione had discovered the identity of the Half-Blood Prince in this chapter? Would it have been too much for Harry to deal with?
Running time: 1:06:53, 40.1 MB
- Which character, if any, will JKR pay tribute to on May 2?
- MuggleMail covers the power of love, Felix Felicis and interesting listening locations
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Chapter 24 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Sectumsempra
- 7-Word Summary: Harry almost gets discovered by Snape bathroom
- Breakup Central: Ron and Lavender and Dean and Ginny are splitsville!
- Charms Class and Quidditch: we reflect on how Harry’s time at Hogwarts is coming to an end
- Katie Bell has finally returned and Harry remains convinced Draco was behind her attack
- Harry is hung up on Felix Felicis and Hermione draws an interesting conclusion about the effects on the potion
- Ravenclaws and Gryffindors: how Quidditch championship matches bring out their wild side!
- Let’s go to the bathroom… because it’s where all the important shi*t happens in the Potter series
- Sectumsempra: Why would Harry use a spell on Draco when he has no clue of its effect?
- Why doesn’t Harry argue that he was defending himself against an Unforgivable Curse?
- Was Snape also keeping tabs on Draco? Was Moaning Myrtle assisting him?
- Should a professor be able to use Legilimency on a student to find out the truth?
- Does Harry’s punishment fit the crime? Shouldn’t it have been more severe?
- The Room of Requirement: we get brief glimpses of the Vanishing Cabinet and the Diadem Horcrux
- The Half-Blood Prince’s book has done a lot of good for Harry and he lets Hermione know it!
- Ginny rushes to Harry’s defense and SLAMS Hermione not once, but twice!
- Snape detention has an interesting twist to it!
- The hosts believe it’s important that Gryffindor wins the Quidditch Cup without Harry
- Harry and Ginny: did it feel rushed? Forced? Or about damn time?!?!
- We Rename The Chapter and give our MVPs of the Week!
- Quizzitch: What unlikely companion does Harry find outside the Room of Requirement?
- In Bonus MuggleCast, we discuss what would have happened if Draco had died as a result of the Sectumsempra attack!
Running time: 1:27:01, 52.5 MB
- Universal reveals the beasts we can expect to see on Hagrid’s motorbike adventure including one never seen in the films!
- We take voicemails in defense of Slughorn, on the Room of Requirement, Harry’s daydreaming and Hufflepuffs ability to find things
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Chapter 23 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Horcruxes
- 7-Word Summary: Secrets are discovered inside the Slughorn office
- Compromised security: what’s up with the Fat Lady denying Harry entrance to Gryffindor Tower? Could Felix have still been at work?
- Dumbledore is initially shocked that Harry has acquired the memory. Did he really think Harry could do it?
- Do we actually know where Tom first learned about Horcruxes?
- We contrast Tom and Harry’s approach to extracting information from Slughorn
- Wizards of a certain caliber have always been drawn to Horcruxes… really?!?! Like who?
- We learn Dumbledore is particularly fierce about Horcruxes. Why is that? Could Grindelwald have made one?
- Horcrux Breakdown: the diary, the ring, the locket, the cup, Nagini and something of either Gryffindor’s or Ravenclaw’s
- Did part of Dumbledore’s prophecy explanation reveal that Harry is a Horcrux?
- Can Voldemort feel when one of his Horcruxes is destroyed? Not in the books, but it works in the films!
- Does Dumbledore’s rant about tyrants creating self-fulfilling prophecies mean even more now that we know more about Grindelwald?
- The hosts rename the chapter and give their MVPs
- Quizzitch: How long does it take to make Felix Felicis?
- In celebration of recording on 4/20, we offer thoughts on which characters in the wizarding world like the ganga!
Running time: 1:33:36, 56.2 MB
- Slug Club member Sara joins the show!
- Muggle Mail covers Bunty The Spy, Snape The Protector and Snape The Bully
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Chapter 22 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, After The Burial
- 7-Word Summary: Aragog causes Harry no issues with Slughorn
- Despite its dark undertones, is this one of the funniest chapters of the series?
- Eric tells us why Hagrid’s letter defined his Potter reading experience
- Aragog is one of our biggest (literally) connecting threads between Half-Blood Prince and Chamber of Secrets
- Will we see Aragog make an appearance in the Fantastic Beasts series?
- Thanks to Ron… it’s time for Harry to GET LUCKY!
- Thoughts of Ginny… are they romantic or a bit disgusting?
- If the placebo Felix Felicis effect worked on Ron, do we think it could have done the same for Harry?
- Is Slughorn so elusive because he considered Harry would eventually use Felix Felicis?
- Venomous tentacula, acromantula venom, unicorn hair… Slughorn has a side-hussle!
- House-Elves as poison taste-testers! What does this reveal about Slughorn’s character?
- I Will Remember You: our patrons pay tribute to Aragog
- Let’s get drunk! Is this becoming a recurring theme in Half-Blood Prince?
- Does Slughorn feel guilty, maybe even responsible, for what happened to Lily?
- Francis The Fish is possibly the best addition the filmmakers made to the series
- Rename The Chapter and MVP of the Week
- Quizzitch: Who tells Nearly-Headless Nick about Dumbledore’s whereabouts?
- This week’s episode is brought to you by Thirdlove (Go to thirdlove.com/mugglecast to take 15% off your first purchase!), Care/Of (take 50% off your first month with code mugglecast50), and HelloFresh (go to HelloFresh.com/mugglecast80 and use code mugglecast80 for free food)!
Running time: 1:12:16, 43.4 MB
- The latest on JKR’s assistant’s credit card fraud
- Quidditch Through The Ages is getting an illustrated edition!
- Team StarKid is turning 10 and they’re planning an event in LA!
- Muggle Mail covers the cursed DADA position, Dumbledore lecturing Harry and the powers of Hufflepuff’s Cup
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Chapter 21 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, The Unknowable Room
- 7-Word Summary: Harry searches for Draco unsuccessfully but determinedly
- JKR drops yet another subtle hint to the identity of the Half-Blood Prince
- Dobby and Kreacher report back their findings on Malfoy! Despite the result, should Harry have been more explicit with his instructions?
- Why does Harry never consider that Draco could be entering the Room of Requirement?
- What combination of words would we use to try and enter the room?
- Given her persistence, should Hermione have offered Harry suggestions on how to acquire the Slughorn’s memory?
- Snape is having a really bad day (again), but should he be taking it out on his students?
- Why was Tonks in this chapter? What did she need to see Dumbledore about?
- We draw connections between Moaning Myrtle, Draco and Tom Riddle
- The hosts Rename The Chapter and give their MVPs of the Week!
- Quizzitch: When Professor Slughorn gets plant leaves from Professor Sprout, what group of students does he say they are for?
- Don’t forget to follow @MuggleCastPod on Instagram!
- In Bonus MuggleCast, available on Patreon: The creators of the amazing graphic art within the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts film series visit Chicago, and Eric recaps their event.
- This week’s episode is brought to you by Robinhood, the easiest way to invest in stocks, ETFs, cryptos and more. Get a free stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint at MuggleCast.Robinhood.com!
Running time: 1:04:27, 77.3 MB
- We’re now on Instagram! Follow us!
- A first edition Potter book sells for $90,000! Have any hosts ever been tempted to buy a rare piece of Potter memorabilia?
- Patreon update: Get ready! Signed album art and our 2019 gift are coming! Pledge now to become eligible to receive the goods.
- We take feedback on last week’s J.K. Rowling discussion
- Voicemails cover a listener who doesn’t like JKR (but is nice about it), Fawkes, Horcruxes and Cursed Child San Francisco
- Chapter-by-Chapter continues with Chapter 20 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Lord Voldemort’s Request
- 7-Word Summary: Voldemort tries again to obtain Dumbledore’s allowance
- Just how is Draco getting the “ingredients” he needs for Polyjuice Potion?
- Hogwarts staffing problem: what’s the deal with Trelawney and Firenze?
- Dumbledore calmly shames Harry for not retrieving Slughorn’s memory. Have we ever experienced anything like this in real life?
- Given everything Harry has been through recently, is this a fair request? Why doesn’t Dumbledore get off his ass and do it himself?
- How might the course of history have changed if Tom Riddle had been allowed to teach at Hogwarts?
- Hepzibah, Hokey and Horcruxes
- What was Voldemort truly after in Dumbledore’s office?
- It is clear Dumbledore had inside information on Voldemort early on. Why didn’t he do more to stop him?
- From tour guide to caretaker, the hosts give Voldemort a job at Hogwarts!
- Rename The Chapter and MVP of the Week return!
- We make several connections between this chapter and Order of the Phoenix
- Quizzitch: How many points does Harry lose for being later to DADA class?
- This week’s episode is brought to you by OpenFit! Work out from the comfort of your own home and see great results — text ‘MUGGLECAST’ to 303030 to receive a special extended 30-day trial!
Running time: 1:22:32, 49.5 MB